This is the best way to create your own Pothos soil mix. But if you think that creating your own soil is too much work – we always recommend pre-packaged Pothos soil mixes at the bottom of the this article.
Ideal Pothos Soil Ingredients
This is the simplest and easiest way to create a great Pothos soil mix.
- Potting Mix (Base): Start with a high-quality, well-draining potting mix. You can purchase a commercial indoor plant potting mix from a garden center or nursery. Look for a mix that is specifically designed for indoor houseplants (we have recommendations below).
- Perlite: Add perlite to the potting mix to improve drainage and aeration. Aim for a ratio of approximately 1 part perlite to 2 parts potting mix. Perlite is a lightweight, porous material that helps prevent waterlogging.
- Vermiculite (Optional): Vermiculite is another option for improving moisture retention and aeration. If your environment is very dry, you can include a small amount (around 10-20% of the total mix) of vermiculite.
- Compost (Optional): To provide additional nutrients to your Pothos, you can incorporate compost into the mix. Use compost sparingly, around 10-20% of the total mix. Make sure the compost is well-aged and fully decomposed to avoid issues with pests or diseases.
- Coconut Coir (Optional): Coconut coir is an environmentally friendly alternative to peat moss for moisture retention. You can include a small amount (around 10-20% of the total mix) of coconut coir to help the soil retain moisture.
Mixing the Soil
- Prepare Your Materials: Gather all the ingredients and equipment you’ll need, including the pot, potting mix, perlite, vermiculite, compost, and coconut coir if you choose to use it.
- Mix the Base Soil: In a large container or bucket, combine 2 parts potting mix with 1 part perlite. This forms the base of your potting mix, providing good drainage.
- Add Optional Ingredients (SEE BELOW): If you want to enhance nutrient content and moisture retention, add 10-20% compost and/or 10-20% coconut coir to the mix. Mix these ingredients in thoroughly.
- Thoroughly Blend: Stir and mix all the ingredients together until they are well incorporated. Make sure there are no clumps or uneven distribution of materials.
Enhancing the Pothos Soil Mix (Optional)
If you want to take your soil game to the next level – then these tips will bring your DIY mix to the level of most manufactured soil mixes.
- pH Level: Test the pH of your water and the potting mix to ensure they are within the preferred range for Pothos, which is slightly acidic to neutral (around 6.0 to 7.0). You can adjust the pH of your water with pH-adjusting products or choose a potting mix that matches the desired pH.
- Mineral Additions (Optional): Some gardeners like to add specific minerals or soil amendments to their potting mix. For example, you can incorporate crushed eggshells for a slow-release calcium source or a small amount of dolomite lime to adjust the pH if it’s too acidic.
- Microbial Inoculants (Optional): Beneficial mycorrhizal fungi and beneficial bacteria can be added to the mix to enhance root health and nutrient absorption. These are often available in powdered or granular forms.
- Slow-Release Fertilizer (Optional): If you prefer a hands-off approach to fertilizing, you can use a slow-release fertilizer that gradually provides nutrients to your Pothos over several months. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application.
- Monitoring Moisture Levels: Invest in a moisture meter to accurately assess when your Pothos needs water. This can help prevent overwatering or underwatering.
- Repotting Schedule: Plan a repotting schedule for your Pothos. As it grows, you’ll need to repot it into slightly larger containers with fresh potting mix every 1-2 years to provide more room for the roots and nutrients.
- Pest and Disease Prevention: Keep an eye on your Pothos for signs of pests or diseases. Using clean, disease-free soil and pots and practicing good hygiene can help prevent infestations and issues.
- Observation and Adjustment: Pay attention to how your Pothos responds to the potting mix you’ve created. Adjust your care routine, including watering and fertilizing, based on the specific needs of your plant and the environmental conditions in your home.
The Best Pothos Soil Mixes Available
Luckily, there’s a huge amount of options online to purchase Pothos soil mixes – and here’s our top 3 recommendations to keep your plants healthy and happy! And when your done picking your soil – make sure to check out our Care Guide for Pothos that details varieties, photos, and more!
- 🌳 PROFESSIONALLY MIXED IN THE USA – Each bag is hand blended on our small family farm with premium horticultural grade ingredients: Canadian Peat Moss, Perlite, Worm Castings, Lime – 1 QUART BAG
- ✅ PROMOTES RAPID ROOT DEVELOPMENT: With extra perlite and low-salt coconut coir, GARDENERA soil promotes rapid root development .
- 💧 SUPER MOISTURE DRAINAGE- Protects roots by quickly draining away excess water but keeping dirt moist for nutrient retention, best mimics their natural outdoor environment.
- ✅ APPROVED FOR ORGANIC GROWING: All Gardenera Organics premium potting soils are made in the USA 🇺🇸 and contain no additives, proving them great for use in organic growing.
- 🌳 USES: Perfect soil media for a wide range of small foliage clean air collection indoor houseplants like Pothos, ParlorPalm, Peace Lily, Snake Plant, Aralia, Schefflera, Peperomia, Marginata, Dieffenbachia, and Coffee Trees.
- Growing indoors is easy under the right conditions; Miracle-Gro Houseplant Potting Mix combines key elements plants need to thrive
- Recommended for growing beautiful indoor houseplant varieties like Pothos, Spider Plants, Montsera, Philodendron, English Ivy and more
- This indoor plant soil is less prone to gnats, thanks to the combination of perlite, sphagnum and peat moss that’s just right
- Certified by the Mulch & Soil Council as a quality product in compliance with industry standards
- A single 4-qt bag fills an 8-inch container; for even more spectacular results, start regular feedings with Miracle-Gro Plant Food 30 days after planting
- BEST SOIL FOR ANY POTHOS VARIETY- Growing Green and Gold Pothos is a breeze with this coco based soil blend
- WATER MANAGEMENT- Drain away excess moisture and protect roots, makes each watering more efficient especially if delivering a liquid plant food
- CREATE AN INDOOR PARADISE- Plant your live pothos vines in this top-grade organic medium to create a lush home garden oasis
- FARMER GRADE INGREDIENTS- Indoor gardening made easy with this all-natural planting mix rich in nutrients, without the use of fertilizer. Materials include pine bark, perlite, coconut coir, sand, and garden lime.
- MIXED FRESH IN THE USA- Professionally mixed by the growers on the Perfect Plants farm. Amazing in clay pots or in a raised garden planter